I'm participating in the Healthy Eats Brown Bag Challenge to pack your lunch every work day during the month of September. Leftovers make a great brown bag lunch, or at least I think so. Once a colleague (who has since moved on) looked pityingly at me as I warmed up some leftovers in the faculty mail room microwave. I looked pityingly back at him, thinking that his dinner must not have been very good if he couldn't bear the idea of eating the leftovers for lunch the next day.
This week's brown bagged leftovers have included Monday's Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil Coulis and a sandwich made from Garlic Sage Walnut Pesto rubbed roasted chicken and Tuesday's Beef Daube Provençal over egg noodles. I made this Crunchy Broccoli Salad as a side dish for some grilled chicken burgers for Wednesday's dinner and happily ate it again for lunch on Thursday. The recipe is loosely based on this salad from Simply Recipes.
Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- 6 cups of bite-sized broccoli florets
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup cooked and diced bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the broccoli. Cook the broccoli for one to two minutes, then drain in a colander. Rinse it with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a small skillet, toast the almonds over medium heat, stirring constantly, until they are lightly browned and aromatic, about 3-4 minutes. Pour the almonds out of the skillet and into a large salad bowl.
- Add the bacon, red onion, celery and cranberries to the salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, vinegar, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- When the broccoli is cool and the broccoli to the salad bowl, then pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least a half hour. Toss again, taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour (including 30 minutes non-active time)