In the meantime, we have to make do. While we couldn't quite eat on the deck yet, it was warm enough to grill turkey burgers one night this week. DH has gone low-carb again so I needed a substantial side dish to make up for the loss of a bun, but it had to be something that at least showed signs of Spring. This broccoli salad fit the bill.
Broccoli Salad with Buttered Pecans
- 4-5 cups small broccoli florets
- 3/4 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons agave honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the broccoli and blanch it for 2-3 minutes. The broccoli should be bright green.
- Drain the broccoli in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine the broccoli, grapes, celery, shallots and raisins in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the pecans and toast until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, buttermilk, honey and vinegar, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Add the pecans to the salad in the large bowl. Pour about 2/3 of the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly to combine, adding additional dressing as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2-3 minutes