- 2 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 pound of dried black-eyed peas
- 2 ham hocks
- 2 bay leaves
- dash of hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the peas with water and soak overnight. Drain and discard the soaking water.
- Cook the bacon in a dutch-oven over medium heat until it has rendered some fat, then add the onion and garlic and saute until softened.
- Add the peas, then enough chicken broth to cover the peas. Add the ham hocks, bay leaves and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 2-3 hours, adding broth as needed, until soft or the desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.