After three Pork Fat posts in a row, the time has come to embrace the new year and new beginnings by posting a healthy recipe! I found this recipe for Cucumber-Carrot Salad on the Cooking Light site, made a few changes and served it with Lamb Chops with Spicy Peanut Sauce for dinner a couple of nights ago. I am always on the lookout for easy side dishes to go with Asian-inspired chicken, beef and lamb dishes and this definitely fit the bill.
This is a great little basic salad that lends itself to infinite variations. I wanted a simple and crisp side with the spicy lamb so didn’t add anything else this time around. Depending on what else is being served, I think that cilantro or mint, red onion or shallot, Thai chilies or jalapeño would all make excellent additions.
Asian Cucumber and Carrot Salad
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 4 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a salad bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add the carrot, green onions and cucumber. Toss to coat.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.