I’ve been making variations on this Mixed Greens and Apple Salad with Apple Cider-Walnut Oil Vinaigrette a lot over the last month or so. I love that it is light, kid-friendly and compliments so many of our favorite fall comfort foods. Tonight I served it with roast chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes. In recent weeks, I’ve served it with turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Red Beans and Rice, and Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Onion – clearly all meals that need a fresh and crunchy element. The dressing is a little sweet and not too tart so it appeals to both kids.
Mixed Greens and Apple Salad with Apple Cider-Walnut Oil Vinaigrette
For the Apple Cider-Walnut Oil Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounce bag of gourmet salad greens
- 1/2 large apple ,thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, walnut oil, honey and lemon juice. Whisk in the shallots, salt and pepper. The vinaigrette can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or so.
- Place the salad greens, apples and walnuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with Apple Cider-Walnut Oil Vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
Prep time: 10 minutes
This salad and the vinaigrette go together really quickly. And the possibilities are endless - add goat cheese or blue cheese, dried cranberries, nectarines or pear, thinly sliced red onion, candied walnuts or spiced pecans, or whatever else appeals to you!