I’ve been making this tomato salad recipe from Epicurious since it came out in the May 1992 Bon Appetit. It is one of DH’s favorites.
Marinated Tomatoes Teruel
- 3 very large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Arrange the tomatoes in single layer in shallow dish.
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, then add the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours.
- Divide the tomato slices among 4 plates.
Since I was making this dish for one and didn’t have the time for the tomatoes to marinate, I cut one large tomato in to bite-sized pieces so it could absorb the flavors more quickly, and made about ¼ of the dressing.
After watching Herb on the Next Food Network Star make a flan a few nights ago, B wanted to make one. It would have been a perfect ending to our Spanish feast, but I could not find a recipe that didn't require several hours of refrigeration. I am trying to convince B that he could be my first guest blogger and write about making flan, but it is a hard sell!