Most days when I work at home, I either have leftovers or a Panini for lunch. Today I was so starved at 11:00 that I couldn’t work so I ventured into the kitchen to make an old-style grill cheese sandwich because I couldn’t think of anything else. But then in the bread box I found some multi-grain tortillas, and there was half an avocado on the counter, so my grill cheese sandwich turned into a black bean and avocado quesadilla made with Colby jack cheese on a multi-grain tortilla. And that is what I love about Meatless Mondays – I wind up making something healthy that would never have otherwise occurred to me.
I’m determined to make Meatless Monday as family-friendly as possible, but negotiating with two less-than-perfectly adventurous teen/ ‘tween diners is tough. Tonight I decided on Caesar salad and pizza – basic cheese for the kids and eggplant for me. I bought the eggplants at a market in Mooresville this weekend. I’ve tried a couple of different eggplant pizza recipes in the past, but don’t have a go-to so found this one on Epicurious. My version subs a Boboli crust and incorporates a few of the reviewer suggestions.
• 2 small eggplants (1 1/4 pound)
• About 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Kosher salt
• Whole wheat Boboli crust
• 2-3 tablespoons marinara
• 3 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella (3/4 cup)
• 3/4 ounces grated Asiago or Parmesan (1/4 cup)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Cut eggplant into 1/3-inch-thick rounds and arrange in 1 layer on a foil-lined large baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides with oil and season with salt.
- Broil 2 to 3 inches from heat until golden brown and tender, 3 to 8 minutes on each side.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara over the Boboli crust.
- Toss together cheeses and sprinkle 1/3 over the crust. Cover with eggplant, overlapping it, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic and red pepper, stirring, until just fragrant, 30 to 40 seconds. Spoon evenly over eggplant.
- Bake until cheese is golden and crust is crisp and browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
Yield: one pizza
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
I don’t think that anybody missed the meat today.