Mashed Potatoes with Herb-Shallot Butter
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced chives
- 6 1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk plus 2 tablespoons (divided)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Add the parsley, thyme and chives. Stir until the butter is well-blended. Cover and chill.
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium lose and simmer the potatoes for 25 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain the potatoe,s then return them to pan. Add the milk, sour cream, salt, pepper and butter mixture.
- Beat at medium speed using a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of milk to the potatoes but do not stir it in. Cover the saucepan, but leave is slightly cracked so that some of the steam can escape..
- Keep the potatoes warm on the lowest heat possible. When ready to serve, stir in the steamed milk.